How to Save Money While Driving Your Car



By Robert Tutsky

It never ceases to amaze me how some people drive their cars. Paying attention to good driving habits can certainly help you save yourself some money in the long run.

I notice all to often that there are drivers speeding up to a red light only to jam on the brakes to stop at the intersection. Why? They're literally pushing their autos to the mechanics garage.

It's not rocket science to realize that they are wasting fuel and also putting more wear and tear on their automobile unnecessarily. I don't know about you but I sure would like to put off an expensive brake job as long as possible, not to mention a new set of tires.

My ex drove her car that way and even though she had a small lightweight car (Saturn) and I ended up replacing tires at approximately 26,000 miles and a brake job at 35,000 miles. What a waste. I now know it's possible to go over 50,000 miles or more on a car like hers before replacing tires and also even longer for a brake job just by driving more sensibly.

Here are some things you can do while driving that will save you money
Always look way ahead down the road and get an idea of what's happening with the traffic light before you even reach the intersection. If it is red and you're not too far away, coast , chances are it will turn green just in time for you to pass through the intersection.

If it is green and you are far away, coast and wait till you see it turn red, continue to coast, the light might turn green and enable you to continue on without using gas or brakes.

I like to make driving a game, trying to judge the speed of my car and time it just right so I don't even have to use the brakes at all. With practice I find it works most of the time especially if you are familiar with the route you are taking.

Not only do I try to judge the optimum speed to go through an intersection without stopping, on many occasions I put my car in neutral and literally coast up to the intersection to a green light, put it back in gear and continue on my way.

There are times when this situation can happen on a slight downhill and I can coast for more than a half mile or more before I put the car in gear and continue on my way, all without using my brakes and all-the-while my car is just idling, saving gas. This way I am truly coasting and using as little fuel as possible. With practice you and in time you will realize a savings that will amaze you..

Another practice I use that I think is worth mentioning
A while back my van needed tires. I had a lot of miles on them and they were worn unevenly.
The mechanic told me that I needed a wheel alignment judging how my tires were worn.
Another added expense.

I asked the mechanic why a car goes out of alignment and he said usually shocks to the wheels from road pot holes will eventually throw the alignment out. From that point on, I try as much as possible to miss the pot holes and bumps. Again, with good driving practices you will save money driving your car.

According to Edmunds there are other ways to save while driving:

1. Stop driving like a maniac. Gentle starts and smooth acceleration throughout shifting can save up to 37% in gas use! That's a terrific savings.

2. Drive the speed limit or even less. Not only will you save gas but chances are you won't be receiving speeding tickets

3. Use the cruise control. Cruise control is not always convenient but during extended trips it will save gas.

Using these strategies will not only save you money with less wear and tear your automobile receives, it makes driving more interactive and fun

Robert Tutsky is researching ways to help you earn and save your money through frugal living and smart saving tips. Visit http://www.your-money-matters.blogspot.com

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home