Having the Right Tools - Sometimes it Is About the Bike



By Sharon Teitelbaum

For some of us, the internal challenges we face have an external, physical, and symbolic form.

A writer I know wanted to take her freelance writing business to the next level. She had been making do with an unreliable computer, spending time re-creating files that her machine lost, losing momentum while learning to use her husband's computer, and generally tolerating the great frustration of not having a dependable key tool. And then she crossed the threshold and arranged to have a newer computer for her exclusive use at her home office. To do so required that she take herself and her work more seriously. The new computer became a constant physical reminder of her commitment to her work. Plus she finally had a reliable tool. Her work jumped forward and continues to do so.

A client recently was anticipating a difficult meeting of her non-profit board. She worked with me to prepare on several levels for the meeting, which turned out well. She later told me that she had also used one of her secret power tools: she wore "a great suit."

Several years ago I rode in a charity cycling event, riding 170 miles over two days. At some point during my training, I realized that to actually finish this endurance event (which was a huge stretch for me), I would need a better bike than the one I was using: a 30-pound, 13-year-old hybrid that had belonged to one of my daughters. I had to put my money where my mouth was and spend real money on a bike for myself.

Lance Armstrong's excellent book about surviving cancer and winning the Tour de France, It's Not About the Bike, is about the internal challenges he had to face.

For some of us, the internal challenges we face have an external, physical, and symbolic form. Having the right tool, whether a computer, a suit, a bike, or something else, requires a certain level of belief in oneself and a willingness to support oneself that is self-reinforcing.

I encourage you to authorize yourself to buy the equipment, services, and other help you need to support you in doing what you do.

Copyright 2006 Sharon Teitelbaum. All rights reserved.
Sharon Teitelbaum, author of "Getting Unstuck Without Coming Unglued: Restoring Work-Life Balance," Master Certified Coach, and motivational speaker, helps high achievers re-claim their work-life balance. Her interactive coaching process provides a powerful catalyst towards greater career and life satisfaction. Sharon's work has been featured in national publications including The New York Times, Forbes.com, and Working Mother Magazine. Visit Sharon's website at
http://www.stcoach.com and subscribe to "Strategies of Change" to receive practical tips for work-life success.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home