Encouraging Advice for Breastfeeding Moms



By Tamika Gardner

The decision to breastfeed is one of the most important decisions you will make in your life. As a new mother, you want to do what's best for your baby and for you as well. Breastfeeding is a wonderful experience and bonds both mother and baby. It is a indescribable feeling and is one of the greatest gifts in life.

In speaking with many new moms, I have found that many really want to breastfeed their babies. But after the first few days, that desire quickly turns into frustration because it is very painful during the first week or two as your body adjusts to the new changes, or because baby isn't latching on or not appearing satisfied by the few dribbles of the premilk that comes from the breast the first few days after birth.

Here are some things that you can do to help you through those first tough couple of weeks:

Remain Dedicated to Breastfeeding
For me, unless there was a medical reason why I would not be able to breastfeed, I did not give myself any other option. Buying formula was not an option. I told myself over and over and I was determined to make it work. I thought to myself, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"


When I first had my daughter, she latched on right away and I was concerned because I thought she was always hungry and she wasn't getting enough the first few days in the hospital. I followed the advice from my lactation consultant to keep nursing and I stuck with it. I kept feeding my baby and then my milk came in.

Remember the Pain is Only Temporary
No one told me that breastfeeding would be excruciating the first week or so. After the second or third day, my nipples were so sore, I started dreaded feeding the baby because it was that painful. The benefits of breastfeeding are so great I was determined to get through it. It really hurts, but you have to know that your nipples have to toughen up and it takes a week or two before you won't feel anything. You also have to be sure your baby is latching on correctly. But if you stick with it, it will pay off.


Seek Breastfeeding Support
Many hospitals now encourage mom to breastfeed their babies and have lactation consultants and breastfeeding support services free of charge. Take advantage of that! When I had my baby, someone from breastfeeding support services called me daily to see how I was doing. They are very helpful and many will also make house visits free of charge as well.


Please don't give up! Your baby will benefit dramatically even if you do it for a short time. You will also save a ton of money and find that it is much more convenient to breastfeed.
Visit
http://www.SimplyBabyFoodRecipes.com and
http://SimplyBabyFoodRecipes.Blogspot.com which provides an abundance of simple homemade baby food recipes, how to's, videos, and articles all for free!

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Tamika_Gardner

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home