How I Organized A Speech Contest



By Linda Meckler

Did you ever organize a large contest? Did you ever organize a large event? Did you have help? If you have answered yes or no to any of these questions, read on.

I am a member of Toastmasters an outstanding public speaking organization. I am very proud to be a member of this organization. I have become an Area Governor this past year. With becoming an Area Governor comes huge responsibilities. One of which is putting on 2 area contests a year.

I recently had to organize my first speech contest. I was at a complete loss in the beginning. I did not know which way to turn or what to do first. Our Lt. Governor in charge of marketing wrote a manual called, "Organizing Area & Division Contests Guidebook." I read it at least 6 times and used it as my bible.

I soon found out the first and most important element of the contest was to sign up the Chief Judge. After making 100+ phone calls my main person came on board and the rest fell into place. The Chief Judge brings on board his own staff which consists of 5 judges and one tie breaker judge.

There were many more people I needed to sign up to work on my team. I went back to the phone, and my team was complete. E-mailing was the main form of communication established between me and my team members. In this way, we could easily keep in touch.

I was lucky, I had a wonderful woman, who is the president of one of the clubs I was in charge of, come forward and mentor me. She has been in Toastmasters for 15 years and she gave me 100% off all her knowledge which carried me through out the planning of my contest.

The night of the contest finally arrived. I was excited and anxious. I had called, and e–mailed my team. We were all on the same page. Now was the time for my team to shine and put on this wonderful speech contest. The theme of my contest was, "Explosive Imaginations Stand Tall."

In the first half of the contest each contestant was asked one question. They each had 2 minutes to answer. They used their creative and explosives imaginations when they were put on the spot. This is called Table Topics. The second half of the contest was Tall Tales - prepared speeches. The speeches were also creative, and when the contestants wrote these speeches, their imaginations really exploded.

I would like to say when I used the people I knew and trusted for the jobs, which were the most crucial, I could breathe easier and finally settle down and enjoy the show.

I also had to count on several people who I had only met over the phone and by e–mail. They really stepped up to the plate, and we put on an organized contest. I was proud of each and everyone on my team.

There was plenty of food thanks to my team members who were in charge of the food table, and everybody ate until they were full.

What I found out about this contest was, I organized and executed a large event. Something I had never done before or even thought about. My self-esteem soared.

I witnessed new Toastmaster members step out of their comfort zone and really shine in the spot light. I know this was a real growing experience in their personal and professional lives.
It was a wonderful experience, I met many new and wonderful people, and I was glad I was part of Toastmasters and their area contest.

Thank you team. I could not have done it without you. We will do it again in six months.
Thank you for reading my article. Please feel free to read any of my numerous articles on various subjects.

Copyright Linda E. Meckler 2007
Linda is the author of her first published book, “Ghost Kids Trilogy. "Christy, 12 and her Brother Brad, 16 moves into an old house on top of a mountain and meet two Ghost Kids.

Then we have a mysterious, magical Blue Vase where Uncle Charlie the villain is trapped. He wants out of the Blue Vase and exchange he will tell Christy and Brad where Pirates’ Treasure is Hidden.

Take a walk with Christy and Brad down a dark hall hunting for Pirates” Treasure. You will think were you there right there with them.

Love, Family Values and Charity burst off the pages. http://www.lmeckler.com

Check out my new 4 E books Titled:

How To Appeal Medical Bills

Appeal and Collections Letters for Medical Providers

Boost Your Self Esteem and Blossom

Stop Computer Pain on my website http://www.lmeckler.com/store
Check out my website http://www.lmeckler.com

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home