The Return of Elegance



By Beth Newman

I’m so excited, so giddy, so extraordinarily gleeful by the return of dressing – I mean really dressing, to the nines!

I had a feeling that the tide was turning my way.

To me, getting dressed each morning is an event. I look forward to it. It’s the best way I know of expressing who I truly am. Author Liz Goldwyn states, “If you love clothes, then you have some duty to show them off.” I couldn’t agree more. That’s one of the reasons I’m thrilled by the return of classic couture. It’s all about fitted jackets, suits, and to-die-for shoes and boots -and don’t forget your matching hat – I never do!

Victoria Beckham took some flak recently when she proclaimed, upon her move to America, “They sure dress down here, don’t they?” At the risk of coming across un-American, I must tell you that I agree. I’m saddened by the blasé attitude many of us have toward our clothes. I’m not saying we should sport the little black dress 24-7, but a tiny bit of effort is in order, I believe.
After all, our outward image is how we’re initially judged; frayed jeans, dirty flip-flops, and oversized t-shirts reveal just as much as the pencil skirt, button down blouse, and pearl necklace. Our wardrobe sends a strong message. What’s your message?

It’s time to be proud of who we are. We do this by the way in which we live, our attitude, and our manner of dress.

The problem, however, lies with not really knowing what to do. We’re bombarded each season by the latest fads. The older I get, the more I realize fads aren’t important. Sure, it’s nice to adopt a few fun pieces into your wardrobe, but overall it’s about elegance and good taste. The easiest way to figure out exactly what you’re going for is to mimic someone you admire.
Personally, I look to Audrey, Jackie, and Grace for guidance. Old school, but timeless. For a modern kick, I might incorporate a bit of Nicole Kidman, Debra Messing, and Sarah Jessica Parker.

It’s not about being a show-off or any sort of clothes-horse; it’s about representing oneself in the best possible light. If budget is an issue, patronize outlet stores and auctions. Scour magazines to help you determine the best look for you. I also recommend consistency; why go all out for work and socializing and end up in your husband’s sweat pants once the day is done? Yes, by all means be comfortable in your home; but for heaven’s sake make an effort. Go with a pair of comfy, yet stylish yoga pants and soft, long-sleeved T-shirt (one in your size, of course). To me, that shows respect to the home and all who inhabit it. I’d like to recommend A Guide to Elegance, by Genevieve Antoine Dariaux. Portions of it are a tad dated, but her message is strong and timely: classic living, and classic looks, never reach an expiration date. This season brings a return to all that is elegant, my friends. I couldn’t be more pleased.

Beth Newman is dedicated to helping people succeed. Before entering the field of education, she worked as a reporter and producer for television and radio. As a fashion journalist, her articles appear in online and local publications. She’s also editor-in-chief of the webzine Elegant. Beth is co-founder and coach of First Style, assisting preteens and teens with wardrobe selection, healthy lifestyle choices, and etiquette.

Contact Beth today http://www.newmanimage.info

http://www.myspace.com/newmanimage

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home